This comes to us via the pretty excellent Web comic Medium Large:
Archive for July, 2008
I bring tidings of great joy from the American Cheese Society conference here in Chicago. Cue the drum roll please …Wisconsin Captures 91 Ribbons, Prestigious Best of Show Award at American Cheese Society Conference
Wisconsin cheesemakers swept the annual American Cheese Society Competition today in Chicago, Ill., capturing 91 ribbons, including the prestigious Best of Show prize.Of 1,149 total entries, Wisconsin cheesemakers scored nearly one third of all awards bestowed, more than any other state. America’s Dairyland’s 91 awards included 25 firsts, 32 seconds and 34 third places. Cheesemakers from 181 companies in 30 U.S. states and Canada were represented.Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook, of Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle, landed 18 ribbons, including Best of Show with his Snow White Goat Cheddar and Third Runner Up Best of Show with Cave Aged Marisa. Holland’s Family Farm cheesemaker Marieke Penterman, Thorp, captured the second most ribbons for Wisconsin, with a total of eight awards for her Dutch-style goudas.First place ribbons went to:• BelGioioso Cheese Inc., Denmark: Romano, Fresh Mozzarella – Prosciutto Basil Log
• Brunkow Cheese, Darlington: Brun-uusto Jalapeno Baked Cheese
• Carr Valley Cheese, LaValle: Bread Cheese, Airco, Snow White Goat Cheddar, Cave Aged Marisa
• Cedar Grove Cheese, Plain: Cumin & Clove Dutch Style
• Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese: Farmer’s Rope
• Edelweiss Creamery: Emmentaler
• Hidden Springs Creamery, Westby: Driftless Cranberry, Ocooch Mountain Cheese
• Hoch Enterprises, Braun Suisse Käse, Beloit: Cheddar Aged Less Than 12 Months, Cheddar Aged More Than 12 Months
• Holland’s Family Cheese, Thorp: Marieke Plain Gouda, Marieke Smoked Gouda
• Klondike Cheese, Monroe: Peppercorn Feta, Dill Havarti
• Maple Leaf Cooperative, Monroe: English Hollow Cheddar
• Nordic Creamery, Westby: Capriko
• Park Cheese, Fond du Lac: Provolone
• Pine River, Newton: Black Diamond Extra Sharp Cold Pack Cheese Food
• Roth Käse USA, Monroe: Gran Queso
• Sartori Foods, Plymouth: Sartori Reserve Raspberry Bellavitano
…Also, I’m blogging live all week from the conference at http://cheeseunderground.blogspot.com/ in case you want a flavor of the atmosphere.Happy day!
Right on, Wisconsin.
The book’s not even close to being released, and we’re already getting some airtime thanks to the WMMB-produced Wisconsin Dairy News segments. Check us out here, under the “Literary Wisconsin” header.
According to the schedule we’ve been given, the segment airs on…
WAOW TV 9 Wausau, Mondays 6-7am and Fridays, 6-6:30pm
WYOW TV 34 Eagle River, Mondays 6-7am and Fridays, 6-6:30pm
WXOW TV 19 LaCrosse, Tuesdays 6-6:30am
WQOW TV 18 Eau Claire, Mondays 6-6:30am
WKOW TV 27 Madison, Mondays 6-6:30am
WGBA TV 26 Green Bay, Saturdays, 7-8am
Well, OK, the only Estonian food blog that we read. But it’s really quite a nicely done site!
Nami-Nami presents the so-simple-you’ll-wonder-why-you-didn’t-think-of-it “brie with strawberries and a little bit of mint.” President Brie is always a fine way to go in this kind of situation…
It’s George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln — carved out of a giant block of cheese. [Little Chute, WI resident] Troy Landwehr used his carving tools to turn a 700-pound block of Land O’ Lakes cheddar into a replica of Mount Rushmore.
Not much that we can add to that, except, perhaps: “Wow.”